Saturday, January 24, 2015

3.01 - Angel with a Shotgun

The job of an undercover security officer is never done. Jeffery Donner, early thirties, had barely finished his inspection of the local salon when he caught sight of an obvious refugee. What luck! 


Refugees were everywhere ever since the government closed the roads into and out of the capitol. And the best part? Most of them didn’t have their human-genetic papers. Which meant they had no protection against going to jail if a security officer found them. 


“Papers and identification, please.” 

The short red head shoots her hand up in a perfect salute. Obviously practiced. 


“I’m sorry sir.” She responds, voice shaky. “I don’t have my papers on me.” 


“You don’t have your papers on you, or you don’t have your papers at all?” 

The red head’s hand falters, but she says nothing. 


Jeffery smiles. Today just keeps getting better and better after all. “Well you’re lucky I found you instead of someone else. I have a friend who can help you get some papers. Shall we go somewhere more private to talk?”


If Jeffery had just looked behind him once, he may have done the smart thing and run. But in the Capitol, officers rule the streets. What could they possibly have to fear?


“You’re going to want to be stepping away from her, friend.”


Jeffery backs off immediately, eyes glowing bright for a second. He spins to face the newcomer, colour draining from his face when the recognition hits. 

“You’re… you’re that damn politician’s brats!” 

“Yes. We are.” Isidore growls, eyes glowing bright as he focuses his ability onto the cowering man. “And you’re going to help me, my sister, and our friends get the hell out of this hell hole. Do you understand me?”


Helpless, Jeffery’s eyes glow again, and he nods obediently. 


There are times when Isidore resents his roommates. 

Delia isn’t so bad. Her father was a human, and she was able to get herself papers claiming she had full human genetics. That allowed her to use the money they had to rent the lower half of a townhouse on the far side of town. 

No. The problem was Delia’s girlfriend. Janell Younan-Riverhaven. His ex. 


“Watcher. Do you two have to do that in the living room? Get dressed!” Sometimes he gives orders without realizing they’re orders. 


He feels bad as Delia’s eyes glow and she rushes out of the room to get dressed. Janell doesn’t move. 

Not everyone is a slave to his orders. Rarely, Isidore will meet someone who can completely ignore his ability. Janell is one of them. 


She leans back in her seat, not caring that she’s half naked. “Hello Isi. Did you two get the papers?”


“I can’t believe you!” Leya spits out, glaring at Janell. “We’re out there risking our lives and you’re sitting here making out? The hell is wrong with you?”

“We all do our part.” Janell responds, sweetly. “I watch and listen. And you whore yourself out.” 

Before Leya can lunge at her, Isidore steps in. “Go take a walk, Leya.” 


Her eyes glow. She shoots him a glare, but leaves towards the bedrooms anyway. 


“Well she still hates me. Nice to know.” 

With a sigh, Isidore takes a seat next to Janell. She’s put up a tough front, but he knows she’s bothered. 

“She needs to blame someone. So she blames you.”

“For being here when Wanda isn’t?”


Isidore nods. “If you would just tell her what happened-“


“I’m not going to talk about that night.” She says with a soft smile. “Let’s talk about something else. How’d it go today? Any progress?”


“Some.” He doesn’t sound happy. We found Officer Donner. And got a name for the fake ID guy. But we also found out he got arrested at the riot last week.”


“So we’re back to square one.” 

He nods. “Looks like we won’t be getting out of here any time soon.” 


Her face falls. “Fantastic.”


It’s a little while later when Isidore finally goes looking for his sister. Her room is completely devoid of decorations or personal affects. Neither of them thought they’d be here long, but the bridges were closed only days later. Two months later, they’re still stuck. They haven’t spent so long in one place since the war started. 


“I know Janell is a bitch, but you need to learn to ignore her. If you two could just learn to get along, it would make life so much easier for everyone!”


Normally, she ignores his lectures. But today has been too much. 


She jumped out of bed, nearly at his throat in anger. “I’M the problem? Are you kidding me? I’m the one risking my ass out there every day! While that bitch stays warm and dry in bed all day! She doesn’t deserve to even be here!” 


“Deserving of it or not, I am not going to just kick her out onto the street because you don’t like her!” Isidore shouts back, no longer caring if Janell or Delia can hear them. “It is NOT her fault Wanda died! And it certainly isn’t her fault Wanda died thinking you hated her!”


Isidore doesn’t hit back often. But when he does, he knows exactly where to hit. 

“How could you say that.” 

Isidore’s heart hurts when Leya’s face falls, but he holds strong. “Because its true. But remember, you aren’t the only person in this world whose lost someone important to them.” 


“I’m sorry.” She whispers. “I hadn’t even thought about who you’ve lost.”


Tears threaten to flow as Isidore remembers Amelia’s face. It’s been five years since he last saw her. They’ve spent longer apart than they ever did together.  He pushes thoughts of her away. It hurts too much. 


“We’ve both lost too many people. Dad and Grandma Dora. But this isn’t it, okay? You know why we go out there every day. To… come on now, Leya, say it for me…” 


“To get out of here. And to find Mira, and Damon and mom.” 

“That’s right.” Isidore smiles, relieved when Leya smiles with him. “And that’s what we’re going to do. We’re at a stand still right now, but we WILL find a way out of this. I promise.”



When Isidore leaves the room, he tries to ignore Delia, but he has no such luck today.

“Why are you lying to her?” 

He doesn’t say anything, so she continues. 

“Even if you guys did somehow manage to get past the barriers, what are the chances you ever find your siblings? You’re better off here. At least its safe.” 


Sometimes he wishes Delia didn’t always make so much sense. “I know we’ll find them because I have faith. You should maybe try it sometime.”


His words are worded carefully enough to keep from forcing her to suddenly become a nun, but Delia still feels a slight tug towards the nearest church. That boy doesn’t know his own strength sometimes. If not for Janell, Delia would have kicked Isidore and Leya out months ago.


3 a.m. 


On the nights Isidore can’t sleep, he watches the news. It’s never good news, but its good to be informed. 


“You mind turning that down a bit?”

His hand darts tot he remote, shutting it off quickly. “Sorry, Jan. Didn’t mean to wake you.” 

“It’s fine.” She smiles, stretching. When she turns and catches him staring, he quickly turns to look the opposite direction. “You can look, you know. I don’t mind.” 


“I mind.” He shoots back. 


She smiles, then takes the seat next to him, folding her hands on her lap. “So what’s bothering you this time mister sour puss?”

He could lie to her. But there’s no point. She knows him too well. “It’s something your girlfriend said. About my chances of finding Mira and Damon.” 


Janell doesn’t miss a beat. “Delia doesn’t know everything. If anyone was capable of finding two people who could be anywhere on this planet, it’s you. And I don’t want you losing hope. Once you’ve lost hope, or faith, or whatever it is you’re calling it now, the government has won.” 


She continues: “If I could just have one more day with my family, I’d do anything…” 

She stops, eyes glazed over, lost in thought. Isidore wonders if she’s even aware he’s still there. 

She laughs to herself. “I’d even clean Tay’s diapers without complaining. Honest to the Watcher, I would.”

“Janell?”

“Yeah?”

“You’re crying.” 


She touches her cheek softly, before putting her hand back down. “I guess I am.”


He puts an arm around her, to comfort her. “You’ve never really told me what happened.” 

“And I’m not going to tell you now.” She laughs, smiling slightly. “A girl is allowed to have some secrets.” 


“I won’t push.” He promises.


“I know you won’t. You’re a good guy like that.” 


Without thinking, he closes his eyes and leans in to kiss her. 


To his surprise, she meets him half way. Thats when they should have stopped things.


They could have also stopped things when he took her bra off, or when they moved off of the couch. At any point between then and now, they could have stopped. Should have stopped. 


But in the moment, Isidore finds he no longer cares. There’s been this tension in the house ever since they saw each other. Maybe now it will get better. He just wishes he could get Amelia’s face out of his head.


---

Originally this chapter was going to be called SING (Referencing My Chemical Romance's version). But I think The Cab's "Angel with a Shotgun" fits better for the opening chapter of generation 3. 

These updates are going to be sporadic at best thanks to my hectic school and social schedule. But I do want to tell this story. I just finished writing a romantic comedy in school (it was a self imposed challenge to see if I -could- do it) so my capability for happy endings has been depleted. 

So yeah. Heads up. This generation will be brutal. Not Avendale generation 2 brutal, but... Reya level brutal.

Next chapter we see what Mira (and Damon) have been up to. 

10 comments:

  1. I don't know why, but with the mentioning of 'Capitol' I thought of the Hunger Games... Hm.

    Is Amelia dead? She's dead, isn't she? :( You can tell me if you've offed with her, I won't be angry, just mildly disappointed. Wow, I kinda sound like your parent there or something, hehe.

    I'm taking that Gem's gone also? Or is he still alive somewhere? I'm thinking he's gone because Isi only mention Mira, Damon and Bay...

    Where Mira and Damon are, is that where Connor is also? *excited*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only death I can "confirm" right now is Gem's. Everything else will be revealed as the story goes on so I can't say anything else regarding Amelia.

      Connor IS with Mira and Damon. We see him next chapter. : )

      Delete
  2. *sigh. It already sounds brutal. All the loss. The security guard mentioned 'That politician's brats' but Isidore mentioned losing Dad. And Isidore lost Amelia? :( And where is Damon and Mira and Mom? What happened that split them up like that? Where is Blaine? I have questions that need answers!

    Poor Isidore. He seems like he's gotten a raw deal there, with a large burden to carry.

    Actually, they all seem like they've gotten a raw deal. *sigh. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALL will be answered! : ) Eventually.

      Isidore's deal started off raw. It's only going to get worse from here.

      Delete
  3. Reya level brutal is the worst brutal ;) The chapter is so full of hopelessness (is that even a word? It doesn't look like one) And then they claim to have hope, but they don't. Atleast Isidors power is neat, including the part where he barks out orderes.

    And generation roll unknown. Aw, now everything can happen to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isidore's powers took be forever to figure out the rules for. But I've got it figured it out finally.

      I've been making a list of little things that will make you guys stress. Having "Roll currently unknown" causes more stress than not having anything there at all. : )

      Delete
  4. Man. Man, oh man. What a way to start a generation! It all seems pretty hectic and yes, kind of hopeless. I'd say I hope that things improve as time goes on but I know better.

    I agree with Sunny. I need lots of answers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. RIP Gem.

    Oh dear, Isidore, what a way to make things worse, lol I doubt that Delia will be very pleased when she finds out what happened between him and Janell.

    What a great start to their story, it really does start off with a bang! I look forward to seeing what happens next, it promises to be very un-boring, *braces self* lol =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delia might be the least of their problems with what I have planned.

      If I've learned anything from my screenwriting classes, its to "cut the fat". If it isn't important to the story, it has to go. And with just that I think I got into the story at a good place. Anything earlier is fluff, anything later misses story.

      Delete